- Stand with feet hip length apart (or lie straight, on your back)
- Rest your hand on your stomach area so that your little finger is in line with your belly button
- Let all the breath out of your body
- Breath slowly in through your nose – as you do so, make the hand on your stomach move FIRST (imagine there is a balloon behind your hand and you are filling it up)
- It only needs to be a small movement of your hand
- After your hand moves, fill your upper chest with air (all in one smooth slow movement)
- As you breathe in, count to six, then hold your breath for two seconds, then count to six as you breathe out.
Do no more than three breaths at any one time - you may experience dizziness, don’t worry about that. Practice lots so that it becomes automatic when you need it.
- Get back to sleep if you wake up suddenly
- Manage anxiety
- Manage panic attacks